PM and Central Government Leaders agree to expedite appraisal of Bac Lieu LNG to Power Project
Announcement: Vietnam Prime Minister hosts Cross-Government Agency Meeting with Bac Lieu Province Leadership to Expedite Approval of LNG Power Project in the National
HO CHI MINH CITY, Vietnam, January 14, 2019 /Delta Offshore Energy/ - On Saturday, January 12th, 2019 a meeting in Ho Chi Minh City (“HCMC”), Vietnam was hosted by H.E. Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc. The meeting was co-paneled by H.E. Nguyen Quang Duong, Central Party Committee Member (body of the top 170 politically ranked party members) cum Party Secretary of Bac Lieu Province (“Provincial Party Boss”). Leaders from central government included the Government Office of Vietnam, the Government Inspectorate, Six (6) Ministries. The entire political presence of Bac Lieu Province leadership including the Provincial Party Committee, People’s Council (legislative) and People’s Committee (administrative). Electricity Vietnam (“EVN”) CEO was also in attendance. The meeting was to discuss the socio-economic development progress and plan of Bac Lieu Province and specifically the importance of the 3,200MW Bac Lieu LNG Power Plant Project (“the Project”) which is a cornerstone to the province’s socio-economic development plans.
The Ministers and Vice Ministers (and/ or equivalent rank Chairs) representing their respective government agencies discussed their support of the Project with the Bac Lieu Province Standing Committee including leaders of the Party, the People’s Council and the People’s Committee in attendance
- It was concluded that the Minister of Industry and Trade will give directions to expedite the appraisal process for the Prime Minister to decide on the project to be included into Power Master Development Plan VII revised (“PDP7”)
- Ministry of Planning and Investment will expedite the investment appraisal for the Prime Minister to decide on Investment Policy
- Public broadcast of the meeting was covered by leading broadcasters (i.e. VTV1) and press (i.e. Nhan Dan, Vietnam News Agency etc.)
- Outside of the meeting, the EVN Chairman is urging DOE and its strategic partners to start negotiating the PPA as soon as the Investment Registration Certificate (“IRC”) is issued.
- Video clip of VTV1 news clip HERE.
The following leaders were in attendance:
- H.E. Nguyen Xuan Phuc, Prime Minister of Vietnam. Official profile HERE
- H.E. Nguyen Quang Duong, Central Party Committee Member cum Party Secretary of Bac Lieu Province. Wikipedia profile HERE
- H.E. Dinh Tien Dung Minister of the Ministry of Finance (“MOF”). Official profile HERE
- H.E. Tran Tuan Anh, Minister of the Ministry of Industry and Trade (“MOIT). Official profile HERE
- H.E. Le Minh Khai, General Inspectorate and Chief (Minister Rank) of the Government Inspectorate of Vietnam (also the former Party Secretary to his home province of Bac Lieu Province). Official profile HERE.
- H.E. Nguyen Xuan Cuong, Minister of the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development ("MARD"). Official profile HERE
- H.E. Tran Hong Ha, Minister of the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment ("MONRE"). Official profile HERE
- H.E. Nguyen Van The, Minister of the Ministry of Transport (“MOT”). Official profile HERE
- H.E. Nguyen Van Trung, Vice Minister of Ministry of Planning and Investment ("MPI"). Official profile HERE
- H.E. Nguyen Cao Luc, Vice Chairman of Government Office ("GO”) of Vietnam. Link to leaders of Government Office (HERE)
- H.E. Ms. Le Thi Ai Nam Chairwoman of the People’s Council of Bac Lieu Province (Local Parliament). Official profile HERE.
- Mr. Dang Huy Dong, Senior Advisor to the People’s Committee of Bac Lieu Province on Economic Development and Investment Promotion (former Vice Minister of the Ministry of Planning and Investment cum seconded Deputy Chairman of the Central Party Committee Economic Commission). Official profile HERE
- Mr. Duong Quang Thanh, Chairman of Electricity Vietnam ("EVN"). Wikipedia profile HERE
- Mr. Tran Dinh Nhan, CEO of Electricity Vietnam (“EVN”). EVN announcement of CEO appointment HERE
- Several Key Department Directors and Deputy Chairs of the People's Committee of Bac Lieu Province
- Nhan Dan: Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc works with leaders of Ho Chi Minh City and Bac Lieu Province (Article link HERE)
- VTV: Prime Minister supports Bac Lieu Province to develop gas power plant (Article link HERE)
- Tien Phong: The Prime Minister works with the Standing Committee of Bac Lieu Provincial Party Committee (Article link HERE)
- Voice of Vietnam (VOV): The Prime Minister provides opinion on the USD 4 billion Bac Lieu Gas Power Project (Article link HERE)
- VGP News: The Prime Minister supports the 'billion dollar' project for Bac Lieu to break through (Article link HERE)